Thursday, May 1, 2008

London calling

London called already actually.

Called a week back actually.

And Monkee has taken to London like the Scarabaeinae takes to dung.

And while the past one week has been spent indulging on the usual stuff one indulges in London- such as acting very touristy in Whitehall & Piccadily, crossing Abbey Road, acting very touristy in Westminster & the Tower Bridge, London pubs, fish and chips, crossing Abbey Road, talking about the weather non-stop, and oh-did I mention, crossing Abbey Road, the one unexpected thing that I have taken to is London tabloids.

For one, they are free. For the other, they are available everywhere, anytime, whether you like them or not, and thrust in your hands/face/feet when you least expect it. And oh, did I mention, they are free.

For more, the quality of journalism, while not exactly Pulitzer level, is surely better than I expected. Well, it is surely better than The Times of India, for instance. Actually it is unfair to call TOI a tabloid in a belittling way since the tabloids are actually substantially better. Well, there is a mammoth sports section, an equally mammoth weather section (London is in England, remember), lots of local news, and at least an attempt at putting business and other stuff. (Again, that's more than I can say for TOI). In fact, the same football articles which appear in the tabloids are also the ones you'd read in espnstar or soccernet, which I'd follow anyways.

And yes, did I mention, they're free. Who in Legoland is going to spend GBP 0.5 to 1.5 on a newspaper? Not me for one, at London prices.

Till next time, Right ho, tic toc and dreadful weather

5 comments:

BrokenTooth said...

Very cheap guy, when did you slyly put off a London? I demand an email with updates and tales of blade.

Me said...

I am sure london is much better than this. Waiting to read more

Atulya said...

That was just a test to check who all read le blog on a regular basis. You pass the test.

Indu M said...

Be careful - don't try to pass off stuff here like you're an old-hand when it comes to all things London.

I'll call your bluff.

PS: I still remember the comment you passed about reading on the tube.

Atulya said...

Its pronounced 'Ho-bun', not 'Hole-burn'. Sheesh, these foreigners

AddThis Feed Button