Thursday, May 8, 2008

Home side ?

After following the English Premier League for some 13 years now, it appears that I finally have a real "home" team. Now if home team is defined as situated closest geographically, my home team is (grimaces) Chelsea.

Based on office location, the "home" English side is definitely Chelsea, Stamford Bridge being barely 2 KM away. But based on residential location, it could be either of Chelsea or Queens Park Rangers. Google maps has been inconclusive in determining which of QPR and Chelsea are my "home team". If the discussion is restricted to Premiership sides, then undoubtedly, Chelsea is still the "home side", even from residence point of view.

Which brings me to what I was trying to say- Chelsea being my new found "home team" has only heightened my dislike of Chelsea further. Nothing against the locality (I'd love to live there actually, but more like a heightened dislike of the football club).

But oh yes, there is a limit to the number of times you can open your daily newspaper (tabloid, rather) and see Avram Grump's face staring back at you. Also, in spite of being one of the pseudest areas in London, a constant whine in the papers is how expensive the fans are going to find it to travel to Moscow. Makes you wonder where all those billions (the owners as well as the fans') go.

Come Sunday afternoon, I'd love to be smirking outside Stamford Bridge.

PS: A lot of pubs in London ban football colors being worn for obvious reasons. Just as well I propose. If results on Sunday go as hoped for (also as expected), I wouldn't make my way out of any Chelsea pub alive.

3 comments:

Hari Shenoy said...

meh. Incidetally, quite a pertinent observation about you not making it out alive.

But imagine a situation where you are in a south London pub and watching the United and Chelsea games side by side and you are the only person whose face doesn't show disappointment should Chelsea's premiership put jai.

You'd still be thulped by the football hooligans. Do you have contingency plans in place?

BrokenTooth said...

I think the solution to all your problems is to simply move to Yeovil Town.

And by the way, Avram Grump sounds like a character from Harry Potter.

Atulya said...

@ Hari: Simple. Go to any part of town which is not Chelsea, and they'd be quite glad to see Chelsea NOT win the title.
@ Brokentooth: Football btw!

AddThis Feed Button